Makes: 4 servings
Prep: 20 mins
Start to Finish: 20 mins
Carb Grams Per Serving: 7
- 3 cups finely diced seedless watermelon, (about 2 1/4 pounds with the rind) (see Tip)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced (see Ingredient note)
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro, (about 1/2 bunch)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup minced red onion, (about 1/2 small)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Place watermelon, jalapenos, cilantro, lime juice and onion in a medium bowl; stir well to combine. Season with salt. Serve at room temperature or chilled.
- Tips: Tip: Melon selection & storage: Look for symmetrical unblemished melons, without flat sides, that have a creamy yellow spot on the bottom indicating ripeness. At 92% water, this fruit should feel heavy when you heft it. Precut melon flesh should be dense, firm and appear moist. Store in the refrigerator for up to a week or keep in a cool, dark spot. Cover the cut surface of melon with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- Ingredient Note: The seeds and surrounding membrane are the spiciest part of the chile pepper. To increase the heat of the salsa, use some or all of the seeds, depending on your preference, along with the flesh of the pepper.
- MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 day.
Servings Per Recipe: 4
PER SERVING: 26 cal., 75 mg sodium, 7 g carb. (1 g fiber), 1 g pro.
Fresh Squash Chips
- 1 1/4 pounds pickling cucumbers, trimmed and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup cider vinegar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 cup slivered onion
- 2 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1 teaspoon dill seed
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- Place cucumber slices in a colander set in the sink. Sprinkle with salt; stir to combine. Let stand for 20 minutes. Rinse, drain and transfer to a large heatproof bowl.
- Meanwhile, combine cider vinegar, white vinegar, brown sugar, onion, garlic, dill and mustard seed in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Pour the hot liquid over the cucumbers; stir to combine. Refrigerate for at least 10 minutes to bring to room temperature.
- Tip: MAKE AHEAD TIP: Cover and refrigerate for up to 10 days.
PER SERVING: 10 cal., 2 g carb. (1 g fiber), 1 g pro.